How to Choose the Right San Antonio Criminal Defense Lawyer
It is never a good idea to represent yourself in court. Even if you are charged with a relatively minor crime, facing them without an attorney is akin to going into a fight with your hands tied behind your back while your opponent has a baseball bat.
Hiring a San Antonio criminal defense lawyer to represent you will significantly increase your odds of beating the charges and walking free.
Why You Need a Criminal Defense Lawyer in San Antonio
The lead-up to your court date will be filled with lots of preparation. A criminal defense lawyer will do the following for you;
- Investigate and research your case. This includes reviewing evidence, interviewing eyewitnesses, talking to expert witnesses, and finding any evidence that can strengthen your case.
- Guide negotiations with the prosecutor and advise you appropriately
- Build a solid defense and defend you in court
- File appeals
How to Find a Criminal Attorney
Ideally, you should contact an attorney as soon as your legal troubles begin. This will give them ample time to prepare a solid argument before your first court date. Additionally, this will provide you with more than enough time to cast a net out for the best criminal lawyers in San Antonio.
Start by asking your family, friends, and general social circle for criminal lawyer recommendations. If you aren’t successful, you can check local or state defense bars like the San Antonio Defense Lawyers Association and legal websites. These resources often provide lists of local San Antonio criminal lawyers.
Factors to Consider When Choosing Legal Represenation
Asking the following questions will help you make a more informed decision when you need to choose a defense attorney:
- What is their area of practice? You want to hire an attorney specializing in criminal justice as different types of cases tend to require different approaches. A lawyer with experience in criminal justice will be better able to navigate the complexities of criminal defense.
- How much experience do they have defending the charges you are fighting? Ideally, you should hire a criminal lawyer who has successfully fought, in the past, the specific charges you are facing.
- Do they practice law in your local area? Attorneys can use their local knowledge and professional relationships with local judges and prosecutors to build strategies and negotiate plea deals. Hiring a local lawyer will make communication easier and reduce your travel costs.
- What is their fee structure? San Antonio criminal lawyers typically charge a flat or hourly rate. Ask any potential lawyer how they charge and their fee structure before hiring them.
Contact Zarka Law Firm
Have you been charged with a criminal offense? Is your hearing date fast approaching? Consider reaching out to Zarka Law Firm as soon as possible. Our experienced San Antonio criminal defense lawyers are well equipped to defend you against everything from traffic offenses and theft crimes to drug offenses and federal crimes.
Contact us today at (210) 468-0400 to schedule a free consultation.